Saturday, May 8, 2010

In which I pick myself up and dust myself off...

For most of the past year, I've neglected this blog; half of the time, I'd forgotten about it completely. I have quite of collection of aborted blogs in various corners of the internet; when I begin them, I'm full of get-up-and-go, but it usually goes blotto after a few tentative entries. I don't want that to happen with this one; I write frequently about my journeys in Orthodox Christianity in several LiveJournals, but as this venue is more anonymous I'm hoping that I might exact a bit more honesty from myself. Often, I filter the content of the other blogs in an attempt to avoid a confrontation with certain Orthodox clergy and faithful; they almost always make good points, but sometimes I'm just not ready to hear the message. Also, I can be rather fearful about being wrong, so part of this is a copout. At least I admitted it, right? Right.

Been doing a lot of contemplation about abortion. I am firmly pro-life, but throughout my adolescence and young adulthood I've flip-flopped on the issue many times.

My thought for tonight is this: Many people who hold a liberal stance on abortion will say, "I personally would never have an abortion, but I also don't want the government to tell me what I can and can't do with my body. A fetus is just a bunch of organic matter, anyway. It's not a person." This argument has Gibraltar-sized holes in its logic, but tonight I just want to address the last statement. So many people will tell you that they're not bothered by abortion because they believe the fetus isn't a person. The thing is, they don't know that the unborn child is not yet a person, so they're taking a huge gamble. I say to them, "I understand that you believe that a fetus isn't yet a person; are you willing to assume the risk that it might turn out to be a person after all, and you are therefore committing murder? Are you willing to accept this responsibility?"

Me thinks that's far too great a gamble to take.


More later. Bed calling.

No comments:

Post a Comment